Wednesday, January 16, 2013



 Goodale's Eric's Emerger
As I was trying to come up with the first fly for a tutorial it hit me. I need to do one on Goodale's Eric's Emerger.  This is the fly that turned the hobby into something special. It was the first fly that Montana Fly Company picked up 5 years ago. The name comes from one of my twin boy's. The pattern was developed after a rough fall day of fishing on the Yampa River in Steamboat Springs CO 10 years ago. The Fall Baetis were hatching and the fish were feeding on them like crazy. I had no real success with the typical BWO nymph patterns in my box. So that night I hit the vise and came up with this pattern in olive and brown. Since then this pattern consumes one box in my bag in several different colors. I fish this pattern year around just changing colors and size to match the hatch at the time. It has all the elements that make up a good trout pattern, slim profile, imitates several different insects, and is simple to tie. 



Goodale's Erics Emerger
Hook: Emerger Hook 14-24
Thread: 10/0 Color to match naturals
Body: .006 Mono
Head: 10/0 Black Thread
Wing: UV Pearl Crystal Flash ( 2 Strands)
Head: Covered with UV resign or head cement. 

No comments:

Post a Comment